Thursday, March 17, 2016

My First Experience with Chalk Paint

Greetings dear friends & readers,
I have read lots of bloggers rave about using chalk paint & have wanted to have a try myself for a very long time now.
I contacted my clever friend Michelle & she gave me some good advise so I felt confident enough to give it a go.
I emailed Ali at Newtons Paints & this exciting little package arrived in my mail box


I have to say Ali was just lovely to deal with & very helpful & informative .... she told me not to hesitate to get in touch if I needed any further information.
I watched her painting video here & found it just so helpful
This little table above had sat in my sleepout for many months now.
I had put off doing anything with it as the varnished finish on it meant I would've had to sand it back before painting.
Not so now . . .
I simply gave it a good wipe down as Ali suggested, then off I went with my first coat of "Aged White"
I gave it 2 coats of this as I felt I was a little hesitant with my first coat & only applied it rather thinly
I let it dry for just over an hour then I applied my "Pale Duck Egg" which I had bought as a test pot
This is how it looked after the coat of Duck Egg had been applied.
I really liked the way the aged white colour was showing through in places
Then I let it dry for 24 hours before lightly sanding the areas I wanted "distressed",  then applying the wax.
 Ali explained the wax makes it wipeable as the chalk paint itself is quite porous.
It also gives a lovely light golden sheen to the finished article
I was so thrilled with my new/old table & am pretty sure there will be quite a few other things around here getting the "duck egg treatment" rather soon
Looking a bit more blue in this photo than it actually is 

Some other snippets from my week included . . .
This cracked china teacup above was rescued from the Op Shop rubbish bin by my friend Joyce
Yesterday afternoon while I had no power for two hours I was able to sit & put together a dainty little teacup pincushion.
I weighted the cup first with a little fine gravel then added some wadding & the circle of gathered fabric. 
The rest is all simply glued in place.

I had to wait 20 minutes for some photocopying to be completed whilst in town last week.
I wandered a few doors along to the Red Cross Op Shop & managed to come away with this darling vintage cane basket & 2 doilies in excellent condition for the sum total of $10.
Though I forgot to take a "before" photo, this little cross stitch was so gorgeous, but had been framed in a heavy matt black frame which did absolutely nothing for it.
It was sitting on the shelf at the Op Shop just wanting to come home with me.
I removed it from the frame, used my chalk paint colours & transformed it.
Though my intention was to pop it for sale in the Cottage, I did think it looked lovely sitting on my new/old table in matching colours

My friend Lois asked me to make her two cushions to gift to her son
Her instructions were "2 large cushions, about 40 x 40, plain blanket backing, reds & blacks, flowers not hearts, anything is fine"
These were issued out the car window as Lois drove out the gate one day in a hurry.
"Oh & both the same" she added !!
I was really thrilled that I managed to get the entire order out of my fabric stash with the exception of 25 cms of black ricrac which was purchased.
Lois was delighted & collected them late yesterday - in a hurry  - as always.

I have been painting on my outside table & usually have company of the 4 legged variety.
I had to quickly nip out to post off a package & returned home to find Blackie had slid off his cushion in his sleep
He is a dear wee soul our Blackie & no longer the hissy, swipey, scratchy feral cat he once was.

With the little touches of autumn in the air I noticed the two furry ones are tucking up together alot more
Leg only partly ""in the air" today Willie  !!!!!
Thank you so much for your visit today dear friends ... it was so lovely of you to pop by
I hope the rest of the week treats you kindly
sending much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones
x0x0x0

19 comments:

  1. Well what can one say, when whatever you do Dear Julie, turns out so wonderful.Love the table and the frame looks lovely. Dear Blackie and miss Pippi, "happiness is---".Hugs Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I have to confess! I'm no painter...!!
    Give me a huge wall, that's fine, anything with
    corners or edges, that's it! :). But, l do like
    to see something nice, well painted! Especially
    something in 'pink'...Bubblegum Pink! HeHe!
    Like my downstairs loo...People are still coming
    from all over to see it....Perhaps l ought to
    charge, though l do have a vintage, brass coin
    box on the outside, that takes old pennies! :).

    When l saw the basket, l thought Bless!x The
    furry ones have a basket each now! But, then
    l saw the last photo...That's a diamond of a
    picture...Bless them both!xx

    It's St Patrick's Day to~day over here, so l
    might participate in a pint..(or two)..of
    Guinness later in the day. and, it's market day
    in town as well, so l'll pop down later for coffee
    and a wander round..!

    Nearly seven to...I'm gonna go make another lemon tea,
    and ogle over the pussy~cat photos! :).
    Very quietly...so's not to wake them...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More lovely transformations! the basket and doileys are lovely and after all a girl can never have too may right? Oh sweet Blackie. That was a funny photo of him slipping off his sleeping spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I love everything (as usual!) but that framed stitchery is divine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a magician Julie. What wonders you create. I,love everything! The teacup pin cushion is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That basket? I so would have fought you for that one!! You have been busy mastering yet another creative skill. I have seen loads of wooden things you would like, I really think you need to come over for a day out round the shops with me, I will be your taxi!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a wondrous transformation as usual! though i'd probably would've sanded it back to bare wood, i love the look of wood & especially love the way you distress it, it does look very old & beautiful!
    dear ol' blackie, think he will need a longer cushion lol! they look good cuddling up together too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, the chalk paint was just so easy & simple. It felt like there should be more to it !!! But I am not complaining. I thought I would use it on some smaller pieces until I felt more confident using it, then I would love to try a tall dresser I have. Thanks for stopping by Selina x x

      Delete
  8. Fabulous chalk paint transformation - I am still dithering over whether to do my dresser - it's such a big piece for a first attempt! Your table came out perfect. I think you will be showing many more such items - I am sure people would either pay you to paint their furniture or buy furniture painted like this from you... I do like the little embroidered piece you rescued and the chalk paint worked so well on the frame - everything is lovely. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant job on the table and photo frame. I have a wooden lampstand that I aim to chalk paint one day. I know a lady who does workshops on the technique and she uses a powder paint which you mix with your normal emulsion paint and it magically transforms into chalk paint. I think I'm going to go with pale grey. Have a great weekend, Julie.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha..ha... Blackie looks as if he has face planted! The chalk paint has transformed the little table and I lust for the little stitchery! Ha!! It looks perfect on the table. It looks so at home there. Great purchases too! Well done you! And those cushions are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I much prefer the table as it is now, it looks perfect.

    Completely in love with the pin cushion tea-cup (It's what we do too).

    Your kitties are adorable ♥

    I lost my little Cobweb this week on the front road. She would have been seventeen this year, and was in near-perfect health, apart from her loss of hearing. She's buried beneath her favourite tree in the garden. Nala seems quite lost without her. We're all heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yvonne, how lovely to see you pop up in blogland again. But Oh I was soooo sorry to read about little Cobweb ... dear wee girl she was & so beautiful. I can imagine what a huge gap she has left in your lives & how Nala will be missing her too. Sending you gentle hugs Yvonne ... remember what a most wonderful life you gave her. x x

      Delete
  12. I can't believe you didn't have to sand all the varnish off before adding the chalk paint. That chalk paint is magic. Love your little table and love the duck egg blue! Such treasures you found while out and about. The two cushions are lovely. Isn't it great to be able to use what you have hidden in your stash. Have the most wonderful week, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a fantastic looking table Julie and picture frame!! Well done, isn't chalk paint great to use!! I love the colour duck egg blue and the cushions look great,Lois will be thrilled with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The table and the photo frame look amazing Julie, the paint colour is beautiful. You have made a really lovley delicate pincushion in the cup....much better use for it than the bin!! Had to grin at your cat...must have been very asleep!!! The cats look so cute cuddled up together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a wonder my friend. Mind you, you are also very smart...watching the instruction video first before painting. I am always so impressed with how those yucky old dark pieces are so utterly transformed with a pastel paint job. I certainly see that you created a perfect pairing when you put the table & the frame together. What a dear wee basket & delightful vintage doilies. Doesn't it make you feel so good when you find such dear, old & beautiful things. I did pop in & read your last post I just never quite managed to return to comment. I think of you so very often, however. Much love & happy Easter, dear friend, Catherine x0x0x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow!!! After reading your post I reckon you can't keep a good woman down!!!! Crickey!!! The
    cupboard looks awesome!!! I sense a lost of patience lurking in the lines of your post. lol Don't
    blame you. You are almost like Superwoman I'd say. Great job on everything you've done. I'm glad to
    see your two amigos are still lazing around. lol
    Cheers, Anita. ps....love golly too. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Julie, long tome no speak, I finally have got around to catching up with your blog. My you;ve been busy creating, it fair makes me want to drool and you didn't even show any baking! :D Lurrrve cupboards, you can never have enough of them I say! Looking forward to seeing all the building work done :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x